21 May 2010

The Mark of a Druid


Rhonda R. Carpenter has managed to pack a lot into "The Mark of a Druid".  It features England, Ireland, the United States, the past, the present, druids, christians, sovereignty, shapeshifting, prophecy, reincarnation, past life regression, hypnosis, murder and drama.

I listened to the book in audio format via the free subscription at iTunes.  The story seems slow to start and jumped quite a bit, from past to present, and between characters but, eventually, I was hooked.  Towards the end, as all the elements started to come together, the pace quickened, but the author was careful to keep you waiting for the ending you knew just had to be.

One quibble I had with the podcast format was the Rhonda R. Carpenter's reading style.  Strange punctuational pauses were distracting as was the apparently inappropriate changes in pitch giving emphasis were it was not warranted.  After a while, I noticed it less and less, with only the occasional inner query arising.   Still, it was worthwhile listening to the audio version on my commute to and from work.

I will purchase a hard copy of "The Mark of a Druid", eventually, to re-read at my leisure. I would imagine it would be a great book to take on holiday as the story is broken down into small segments, as it alternates between the past and present, thus allowing the reader to pick it up and put it down at will.

Rating:  4/5.

No comments: