26 October 2009

Home

I have recently returned from a trip to Australia, a country I can no longer call "home". Even flying over the Northern Territory (the first point of contact) I felt alienated. Don't get me wrong, as a land Australia has a unique, fascinating and beautiful quality, but it's not one to which I can relate.

Within hours of arriving, after the drive from the airport to my sister's place of residence, I longed to be back in the UK. The sounds, the smells, the spirits of the place I found myself in were now alien to me. I even found the energy a little hard to "tune into" and quickly tuned out. Given I was born there, I should have attuned better, but I didn't. In fact, I did nothing even remotely pagan whilst I was there. No little rituals, no meditations, nothing. I didn't feel comfortable practising my faith in that country. Even being by the ocean offered no comfort to me and the ocean was always my saviour in low times when I was younger.

So, now I am back in the British Isles and I feel I truly am home. I understand and connect with this landscape, more so in the north, but, where I am now is comfortable for me.

Every time I travel to Australia, I feel more and more alienated from that country. It's a shame, but I know now that I could never return permanently; my faith is rooted here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I envy you so much.