23 December 2008

Words and Language

Was perusing various blogs and came across this:

Words are free and all words, light and frothy, firm and
sculpted as they may be, bear the history of their passage from lip to lip over
thousands of years. How they feel to us now tells us whole stories of our
ancestors.

A quote from Mr Stephen Fry, one of Britain’s modern wordsmiths. I’ve always felt language was important and I have always despaired at my lack of ability to wield my native language fluently and with grace.

I wonder, then, what that might say about me to future generations?

4 comments:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Says Where That You Yield W/O Grace, Lady?

And what of past Folk whom sensed the idioms of their day no longer relevant?

I too have in the recent past despaired...

No more. we are humans, and communication is one of our developing evolutionary tools. not "developED", note; no reason, since we still are progressing (gods hope!! :) that our language should not be as well.

Now, whether i am as proficient at the tongue's 'wielding' as other current existers is another matter altogether ;P , and i can despair to my heart's (ill-)content (or contempt...).
Or i can strive to improve...

Good to see you back after the Yule "break" :D

Cygnus

Unknown said...

i love stephen fry he's lovely

Bo said...

You write beautifully! Don't be so hard on yourself. I totally agree with Fry. (Met him once - lovely man.)

An Gàidheal Pàganach said...

I'm jealous, Bo. I'd like to meet him, though I think I would just end up somewhat tongue-tied.

Thank you for the compliment, Bo. Coming from you, that means a lot.