20 June 2008

Celtic Tales of Birds & Beasts

Told by Mara Freeman
Music by Gerry Smida
ASIN: 1890851043

I found this CD in a shop, where it was hidden amongst the new age music CDS. I bought it and forgot about it for a few days. I finally remembered to put it in my handbag so I could listen to it in the car and was pleasantly surprised.

Mara Freeman tells the tales of:

"The Prince, the Fox and the Sword of Light"
"The Selkie"
"The Legend of the Oldest Animals"
"The Black Wolf"
"The Children of Lir"

They are told with a minimum of background music and the odd sound effect. Ms Freeman also takes the time to add light accents to the speeches within the tales. Each tale is told rather simply, making them accessible for children and adults alike. I enjoyed the CD and will probably listen to it every now and then.

I have not looked at the texts of any of these stories, but I don't believe Ms Freeman was going for accuracy, rather atmosphere which is beautifully achieved on this CD.
Information on Mara Freeman can be found at the Chalice Center website.

7 comments:

hen said...

Story telling is just the best. I have had a few amazing experiences sitting outside in the cold, wrapped in a blanket with strangers, open mouthed and wide eyed for hours listening to the magic of the story teller!

Can you recommend any other story telling cd's? For some reason I have never even thought about getting storytellers on cd.

hen
x

An Gàidheal Pàganach said...

I haven't found any more CDS, but you can create your own from the downloads at , who are doing all the celtic myths, beginning with the Irish.

hen said...

That link is absolutely fantastic!

An Gàidheal Pàganach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
An Gàidheal Pàganach said...

Sorry, that link should read as: http://celticmythpodshow.com/

I have no clue why links aren't working in my comments section. Sorry.

hen said...

I didn't have a problem with the original link.

An Gàidheal Pàganach said...

The link should be over the words "Celtic Myth Podshow", not over the description. For some reason, blogger is messing all this up, despite several attempts on my part and previewing everything (where it all looks correct) only to find when the comment goes up, the links are ruined. *grrrrrr*